Sunday, September 8, 2013

Saying Goodbye To Our Parade Car.

Many years ago we purchased a mini 32 Duce Coupe parade car that Roger rode in Shrine Parades.  We had a blast with the car and the unit participated in tons of parades all over the United States during Shrine Conventions.  But this week that era ended when we decided to sell the car.  Roger is no longer doing parades and we just needed the room.
 Below is a picture of Roger and some of the unit preparing their cars for a parade in Minneapolis.
We sold the car to a gentleman in Marshallville, Georgia.  We delivered it to him on September 8, 2013.  Roger and I drove our little Chevy S-10 truck and pulled our trailer with the Deucester in it.  Charles purchased the car for his grandchildren to drive.  He has I believe 9 grandchildren.  He had already purchased 2 other mini cars which were similar built to ours.

Here is Roger and Charles after we unloaded the car and Roger gave it a last drive around the yard.  When we met Charles we knew that the car had found a great home.
 You see Charles is also a car guy and a collector.  He and Roger hit it off immediately.  Amazing how God brings special people into your lives.  Charles was tickled to show us around just a few of his collection buildings.  (Believe me....if I didn't have to work the next morning Roger would have put in to stay all day and tour every building on this massive farm!)

 These following three pictures were inside his "toy building".  Yes he collects toy tractors also.  I don't think I've ever seen so many John Deere tractors in my life.  He admitted that since his stroke a few years ago he has lost count of just how many tractors he has in his collection.  I couldn't even dare to guess as many were in boxes up on shelves.

I loved the swing they had made out in the back yard.
While walking outside with his wife I noticed the massive green fields of plantings.  I asked her what they farmed.  Her response was "cotton".  I informed her that I was a quilter and thanked her for helping put cotton on the market so I could have more quilting fabric.  She laughed.  They also raise corn on 1500 of their 4000 acres.  Her sons were out in the corn field trying to bring the crop in when we were there.

On our way back home our little truck decided to give us trouble.  It was hot as blazes 96 degrees and the humidity was horrible.  We wound up having to stop every 45 minutes or so and let the truck cool off.  Thankfully I'm married to a mechanic and he knew just what to do. 

At one of our cool off stops we saw this little antique market and decided to spend the hour looking through the shop.

 I found some quilts in the shop.  Most were priced too much for me, but all were beautiful.

We made it back home but the truck problems made it a very long 13 1/2 hour trip.  But you know what......when life gives you lemons you make lemonade!  We are have safe and sound.  Roger has fixed the truck ....and our little deucester has a brand new home.  God is good.

Happy quilting,


Dana Gaffney said...

It looks like you made the best of that trip and found some fun. The car guy would have made my husband so happy.

Mary said...

What a fun day to see all those neat toys. And browsing the antique malls was so fun, we stopped at everyone we saw driving home from NC. I have a ton of pictures of quilts and machines I didn't buy.

Marsha Hodgkins said...

My hubby would still be there!@!! Tractors and old cars are just like ice cream to a little child...or quilts to a quilter! All in all, it sounds like a perfect day with a few annoyances thrown in for good measure. Nice post! Thank you.