Friday, July 8, 2011

Houston........We've Made Real Progress!!

I admit it......I'm not the math major.........When I initially calculated the number of border pieces I would need I counted the seam allowance.........dah!!  so I was a lot short of pieces.  So what is a quilter to do when she has no more of the "said" fabric to finish the border.  Buy fabric.........well maybe, but I chose first to dig through all of the strips in my 2 1/2 inch strip bin and 3 inch strip bins to find some strips that might come close to the same value as the fabric I had used.  and I found a few, but still didn't get as close as I wanted.

 So I decieded to try a little fabric manipulation.
 Good old tea dying.
 And after a little time in the tea bath I was more pleased with the fabric values.  Then I unsewed some of the border strips and inserted three other alternating fabrics to complete the borders.
 Then it was back to sewing the pieces together into the borders.  I love sitting in the livingroom with my hubby and piecing away on my featherweight.  She sews like a dream.
 The top is completed!  Seems like there is never enough room to lay a top out on the floor and get a good picture, but here goes.  Hope you can see enough of the entire layout of the quilt.
 This evening she goes into the longarm and hopefully I will have it completely quilted by tomorrow so I can get it bound to take to the guild meeting Monday night.
Roger Jr. sent us this picture from his fishing trip this past Sunday.  Wow what a catch.  He said it took him 20 minutes to get this one in the boat.  

Better get busy I have Teresa coming over today for lunch.
Happy Quilting,

No comments: