Friday, July 24, 2015

Mom Has Been String Piecing Again

My mom, or the "energizer bunny" as we call her, loves to string piece and uses my scrap buckets to make beautiful quilts.  Each week when she comes over for Bee night she usually takes home a bag of scraps from the bins underneath my cutting table.  This is the view today of the scrap bins after cutting fabric scraps the other day into tumblers.
Mom will have a great time when she comes this week for Bee.  It always amazes me how beautiful a quilt that is made from scraps can be.  Mom has been working on quilts for her grand-daughter and her husband, also for her great grand son, and great grand daughter to give to them at Christmas.  She keeps me very busy quilting.  My mom will be 80 in March as out sews all of us girls in the bee.  I love that!!

Below is one of the quilts she string pieced using the bin of scraps.
I love seeing all of those fabrics floating in that quilt.  She used the floating 9-patch setting to set these string blocks.
I had fun with the quilting, freehand funky swirls.
 
She used telephone paper to piece borders and then cut them to the width she needed.
So as Bonnie Hunter always says, "scraps are worth as much as the whole fabric" which means if you paid $10 per yard for that fabric all of the scraps are still worth $10 per yard.  Mom is able to get multiple quilts out of the scraps that we put in the bins while cutting out other quilts.  

As we cut out pieces for quilts we are working on we put the larger pieces beside my Accuquilt Studio cutter.  We then take those pieces and cut into the scrap pieces in Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Users System Bonnie's System

Below is my bins with pre-cut fabric pieces ready to use in quilts.  I used some of the 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 pieces in the pink breast cancer quilt for Melissa.  It was quick and easy to go through the bin and pull out different pinks that I had cut from scraps.  It made piecing her border effortless.
After we cut as many pieces as we can for the system we put whatever is left into the scrap bins to be used in string quilts.  As awesome system of working to use every bit of fabric that we have paid for.  We definitely get our money's worth out of our fabric. 

Happy Quilting,
Shelia 

No comments: