An update on the progress of my UFO's from this weekend, but first....some breaking news....
I was able to give my mom her Featherweight today. She was thrilled and totally surprised. It's always nice when you can actually pull off a surprise. Yesterday was their 57th Wedding Anniversary so I gave her the machine. Now back to the UFO update. My goal was to get my current "at the top of the list" UFO's kitted up or out where I can work on them so this is what I accomplished.
- My brown Kaleidoscope quilt- this is one that I really mulled over for a long time while sorting through my UFO's. I kept putting it in the "get rid of pile", but then I realized that I had 25 blocks already finished and more blocks already partially pieced. Seemed pretty crazy for me to get rid of this since I had put so much time in piecing theses blocks. So I decided that this should be one that would be easy to finish piecing. There are two blocks in the quilt, one with dark outer rings and one with light outer rings.
Pretty proud of my center points if I do say so myself....hehehe. I started piecing this block in 1994 or 1995. I could tell from some of the blocks that my piecing skills have GREATLY improved since then. I did take 4 blocks apart and resewed them to make the centers match. One of them looked totally like a drunk had pieced it.....and I promise I wasn't drinking when I pieced it.
When I put the blocks up on my design board I LOVED IT! I know it is a lot of brown but I love the hidden circles that you see with the pattern. Glad that I kept these blocks. I've got some of them squared up and hope to be able to finishing squaring up and then sew the rows together this week. Then I need to pull some border fabric from my stash.
I decided that I needed to have another leader-ender project cut out so that I could have it to piece during all of this UFO finishing. Suzanne taught a rag quilt technique at the guild meeting last Monday and I decided while cutting up some scraps to make a halloween rag quilt from all of the halloween fabric that I have. This should be fun. Below I have kitted up the pieces. I cut 5-inch squares of halloween fabric, 4 1/2 inch squares of scrap batting I had from other projects. (some of it came from the scraps left from the yellow/brown braid quilt I just finished), I put one 5-inch square face down, batting piece, then another fabric piece right side up. I pinned in two corners so I can easily pick up a piece and sew a diagonal line across it as a leader-ender project. When I'm done it will be totally done and quilted. What a great project. Thanks Suzanne for sharing this technique.
Below is where I have sewed 4 pieces into a row. This is the side that will be cut in the seam areas to rag the quilt. Can't wait to get this finished.