Sunday, January 8, 2012

UFO Busting Tip 3

Pat Sloan's third tip for busting your unfinished projects is...
IT'S ALL ABOUT TIME!

Most of us have said at one time or another that we don't have time to quilt.  I am one of those.  I have a wonderful studio to quilt in but I also work 40-60 hours a week as a nurse, have a business and serve as an officer in a ladies organization with Shriner's Hosptial which requires ALOT of my time.  So I too have to organize my time to be able to quilt.

I have always been a goal oriented person and know that you must MAKE the time to do the things you really want to do.  Most people spend 20 hours at least a week watching TV, think of what you could accomplish in that same 20 hours if you turned the TV off.  That is one of the things that I always think about if I sit down to watch TV.  Is there something else that needs to be accomplished besides watching mindless TV? 

Pat reminds us that we all have the same 24 hours in a day.  What we do with those hours is what matters.  As we age we often have nights where we can not sleep.  So why not quilt?  I have been in my studio many mornings at 2 a.m. just because I could not sleep.  Even if you just sort fabric you have accomplished something.

In Pat's words::
"This is UFO Busting so it's MANDATORY to MAKE time
Because if you don't work on a project is't NOT going to get done
While Sitting in a bag or a box the project will NOT finish itself
I can promise you that!"
So here assignment to us is
"Your assignment is to set aside time EACH DAY
Seriously.. we are not being wimpy here!
EACH DAY you can do just 10 to 15 min of sewing and you will be
AMAZED
at how much you'll get done!"
Set a timer for 15 min and then sew sew sew!
So my goal is to sew at least 15 minutes a day.  That should be a no brainer.........the thing is doing it everyday.  But that is the only way that we can get these UFO's completed and move on to new projects......and we have have that book of patterns, drawings etc., that we want to make someday.
Below is some of the 30 minutes I spent sorting some more fabric to place in my stash.  Some more fabric was added to the bag of scraps going to the guild tomorrow night.  See the very far right beside the white basket....that is a pile of pieces that need to be cut down into strips, blocks and rectangles for piecing as scrap quilts.

I had two more finishes last night.  Below are two mug/snack mats that I had quilted beside or below another quilt in the longarm.  These were pieced from leftover blocks and strips from other projects.  I sewed the binding down last night.  So two gifts to put in the finished pile.  These would be cute in a gift basket with a coffee mug and some chocolate.
 Below is the backing fabric that I thought was so cute.  Love the little flower pots.  
So until tomorrow......Happy quilting,
Shelia

No comments: